Ep6, Part 1 Civil Rights and Racial Inequality (YA titles)
Jan 24th, 2017 by readerpants
Welcome to Episode #6, part 1. My name is Leigh Collazo, and I am a certified school librarian and former middle school English teacher. Let's talk about books! Today's podcast, Civil Rights and Racial Inequality, has been split into three parts: YA titles (grades 8+), Middle Grade titles (grades 5-8), and Picture Books for Older Readers (grades 5+).
This episode is Part 1, so we are discussing YA titles.
FIND ME AT:
TITLES DISCUSSED IN PART 1:
- The Hate U Give (Angie Thomas)
- Lies We Tell Ourselves (Robin Talley)
- Loving Vs. Virginia (Patricia Hruby Powell)
- How It Went Down (Kekla Magoon)
- Allegedly (Tiffany Jackson)
- The March Trilogy (John Lewis)
- X: A Novel (Ilyasah Shabazz)
- Out of Darkness (Ashley Hope Perez)
- The Truth of Right Now (Kara Lee Corthron)
"We went down to the public library trying to check out some books, and we were told
by the librarian that the library was for whites only and not for colors."
--Congressman John Lewis, author of The March Trilogy